The environmental issues we are experiencing at this moment have to be addressed immediately if we want to ensure safe and clean planet for the future generations. People today seem not to realize what is going on around them concerning pollution, rubbish removal, saving energy and other environmental problems. The fact is that many of us take out planet for granted. That is why we need to wake up and understand that what we give, we will receive. For this reason, each and every of us should start small and do our part. Sure, it takes a lot of commitment and devotion but if each of us to do something, even something small, together we can achieve great results. Living greener is not an option anymore, it has become a sort of necessity if want to ensure a future for us and our children. So, start today, now. We have already created enough pollution and damage to the nature.
We can contribute on so many levels. For example, one way to help our environment is to save resources. We overuse resources and that is one of the major reasons for global warming. We have to try to be moderate in using resources like electricity, water and fuel and we can start right now around our homes. Perhaps some of us never thought that certain small things can mean a lot, or we are not aware that everything we do has consequences. For example, why tackle waste? Well, we are running out of landfill sites where our waste is disposed of. The statistics say that only in the UK, we produce about 100 million tons of waste per year. It is evident that everyone should do their part for the environment. There are easy ways to help save resources and ensure proper rubbish removal. Here are few tips and pieces of advice how to preserve electricity, water and fuel. Check them out.
Tips to save electricity
- Turn off the appliances if you are not using them. Your computer and other equipment are probably on standby mode when you are not using them. Turn them off or unplug all electricity appliances and save.
- Save on energy by using the sun to get wormer. During the winter and cold months you should open the curtains and let the sun heat your home. You will use less electricity to heat and you there is no need to use lights when there is enough daylight. Simple as that.
- Turn off the lights in the rooms you are not using in particular moment. For example, you finished washing your hands in the bathroom. When you leave the room, do you switch them off or the lights are still on? Why would you leave them on when you don’t use or need them? Right? Also, don’t sleep with the lights on. Open the curtain and allow the moonlight or the light from the street lamp to enter the room.
- If you don’t have many dirty dishes, save electricity by washing your dishes by hand instead of turning on the dishwasher. Even though it is time-consuming, it is energy efficient. Having one or two dirty items is not worth of using that much of electricity.
- Did you know that it is healthier to sleep in a room with a lower temperature? Therefore, you can turn your heater down for 10 degrees at night. Not only you will save electricity, but you will ensure a good night sleep. Also, when you are not at home, turn it down.
Tips to save water
- Do you have pipe leaks in your home? This can greatly affect your water bill, not to mention that you use way too much water than actually necessary. Fix your pipes or replace them for new ones.
- Next time you are showering, remember that you actually need up to ten minutes to shower, not 30 or more. Do not waste our water supplies.
- Just like with electricity, turning your dishwasher on when it is half full wastes water as well. Turn it on only when you have a full load.
- The same goes for your washing machine. Stop turning it on when you have only a few items to wash. Wait until you have a full load. You can also try washing some of your clothes by hand, at least the ones that are not suitable for the washing machine or the ones that are not too dirty.
- Turn off the water while you are brushing your teeth. Also, turn it off when washing the dishes. Instead of leaving it to run, fill the pan with water and start with washing.
- Collect rain water for garden uses. Rainwater can be used for watering your plants, vegetables, etc. You can put barrels that will collect the rain.
Tips to save fuel
- If you are only going a few blocks to the store, or to pick up your child from school, walk and leave your car at home. Not only you will not use fuel, you will decrease air pollution caused by gases and, it is good for you and your kid’s health.
- Try to use a bicycle more often. For example, when going to the store, visiting friend and family, running errands, etc., use a bike.
- You can also use public transportation more often. Train ride can be a real adventure.
- If you commute, find colleagues who also commute. This enables you to save fuel and money as well. Not to mention the benefits of socializing and sharing experiences.
These are just a few tips on how to take care of our Mother Nature and save natural resources and energy. Think about the times when people didn’t have electricity, cars and so many modern electrical appliances for a convenient and leisure life. We have made a huge progress in so many areas of life, but we still have so much left, like what to do with waste and rubbish removal and how to save our environment. Nevertheless, you, as an individual, have the power to make changes. Think globally, act locally. This means that everything we do, each step we take to preserve our environment will ensure that our future generations have a safe place for living.